This week (20 - 24 April 9a.m. - 4.p.m.) I am doing work experience with the marketing department at the college I attend doing graphic design and I'm going to be recording the experience everyday on my blog. These are the targets I want to achieve this week:
My main aim is to produce professional graphic design work to industry standard that meets the marketing team’s brief and requirements. I want the work I create to look presentable enough to put in my portfolio.
In addition I have identified three SMART targets to achieve:
1. Be confident enough to contact the marketing team if I’m unsure about a task and I need further clarification.
2. Work well in a team and be confident enough to contribute my opinions and ideas.
3. Don’t stick to just using Illustrator and Indesign which are programmes I am very confident with, try and use Photoshop and develop my skills with this programme.
Day 1, 20th April
In the morning we were introduced to the marketing team and were informed of their different roles within the department. They informed us they had 3 tasks that that needed completing by Friday. These tasks were:
1. Coming up with a new branding style for the higher education the college has to offer and creating a series of moodboards reflecting this style. We then had to create a printed material e.g. poster or prospectus in this style.
2. Create an A5 Facebook poster advertising a competition to win a Fire HD 7 tablet to be put on the page in summer.
3. 6 posters to be used at the next Open Day event to help people find their way around the college and find the department they're interested in seeing.
We were told that if our designs met their brief successfully enough then they would use our designs around the college. They said that they would like to be kept updated throughout the week, rather than just being showed the final designs on Friday.
After they delivered their briefs it was up to us to decided among ourselves how we were going to divide them up between us. It worked out best to split in to mini groups and focus on a brief each but we will check in with each other a lot and check our design style is consistent and share our suggestions with all of the briefs. The brief I'm working on is the first one. I spent the majority of the day gathering images from the internet of existing prospectuses for inspiration. I put them all on to a moodboard shown below.
When I had a rough idea of the style I wanted to go for I made a very quick mock up of a cover for a potential prospectus. We were given some guidelines that we had to stick to, for example the logo can only be at the top and bottom right or centred only if really necessary. At the end of the day we contacted the department to arrange a meeting for tomorrow where we'll show them our intial ideas and get their feedback.
Today I felt like I achieved target 2 as I contributed suggestions about the design style our final pieces should go in and I aim to do this throughout the week.